So, a low-shedding F1 momma with a genotype of NEGATIVE/POSITIVE is bred to a non-shedding Poodle with a genotype of POSITIVE/POSITIVE for an F1b litter.
Each parent contributes only ONE gene to each puppy, remember. So the standard Poodle daddy will definitely contribute a POSITIVE gene to each one of his puppies, but the F1 golden retriever or labrador retriever momma should contribute her POSITIVE gene 50% of the time and her NEGATIVE gene the other 50% of the time.
This means in an F1b litter 50% of the litter will be non-shedding with a POSITIVE/POSITIVE genotype like their Poodle daddy, and 50% of the litter should be low-shedding with a NEGATIVE/POSITIVE genotype like their F1 mother.
Whew…. Okay, now that we’ve established that. What about the F2’s and F2b’s and F1bbbbbb’s….. Crazy, life, right? How much will these dogs shed?
An F2 is the product of an F1 and F1 parent. Because each parent could contribute either a POSITIVE or a NEGATIVE in this case, there is a 25% chance the puppies will have a POSITIVE/POSITIVE match up and be non-shedding, a 50% chance they’ll have a POSITIVE/NEGATIVE match up and will be low-shedding, and a 25% chance their parents NEGATIVE/NEGATIVE match up, in which case those F2 puppies will still dump hair like a regular Retriever (even more than both their parents do).
An F2b litter is usually an F2 (one of the ‘grab bag’ puppies from above) bred back to a Poodle. As long as there’s a Poodle daddy in the mix, you’re guaranteed at least one POSITIVE gene, so it will at least be lower shedding, but depending on what genotype the momma has, she could be an F2 that carries anywhere from 0-2 NEGATIVE Retriever genes. It’s totally dependent on the parent, but one thing to keep in mind is that all doodles, regardless of their generation, will require regular haircut trips to the groomer. Consistently brushing your goldendoodle’s coat can also help eliminate loose hairs while preventing their curly coat from matting.
So, as a breeder, this question of ‘What’s the generation least likely to shed?’ is a difficult one to answer. Anything with a ‘b’ in it has the best potential for being LOWER-shedding (because you’ll at least have one POSITIVE), but really the only way to guarantee a NON-SHEDDING goldendoodle puppy is to find a breeder who does coat testing on the parents.
For example, a non-shedding F1b genetically tested and known to be only a POSITIVE/POSITIVE carrier paired with a Poodle or another POSITIVE/POSITIVE F1b or F2b is really the only guarantee of a 100% non-shedding litter. But there has to be coat testing involved.
Anytime a Doodle is bred to a Doodle, it’s blanket called a Multigenerational Doodle (Australian Doodles fall into this category). But, of course, if the breeder doesn’t coat test correctly, you can STILL have a Multigenerational puppy that sheds, anywhere from a little to tons if two recessive NEGATIVES match up incorrectly.
(Please keep in mind that Coat Testing, as well as Health Testing, is expensive and is usually incorporated into the price of the puppies. Breeders offering their puppies for less will likely not do this testing.)